Embracing Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) in Education at Bangkok Patana School
As with all technology tools, we use our Technology for Learning Vision as a lens through which to ask questions.
For example, how can A.I. tools be used ethically and with integrity to:
- evolve our critical thinking?
- shine a light on our conscious and unconscious biases?
- develop our information literacy skills?
If you ever played around with A.I. platforms then you’ll be familiar with the phrases “it’s all about asking the right questions (prompts)” and “garbage in, garbage out”.
Here are some of the mechanisms we are employing to embrace A.I. in our school:
- Monthly PTG Tech Talks on Embracing A.I. in Education
- Weekly Student Digital Leaders meetings to discuss how A.I. is being used by students and teachers; to evaluate the platforms
- Weekly A.I. tips drip fed to the community via our 5 in 5 for Friday Series - YouTube
- This curated site of A.I. resources
Technology innovations have been impacting learning for generations; now they are accelerating exponentially.
The team at Bangkok Patana School are keeping up-to-date with the rapid developments in A.I., in particular at the intersection of where these tools can impact learning and empower students, teachers and parents to support learning.
As a community, we are embracing A.I. with cautious curiosity.
Some Questions on AI:
Are artificial intelligence and machine learning the same?
Click for the answer
No, artificial intelligence and machine learning are not the same, but
they are closely related. Machine learning is the method to train a computer
to learn from its inputs but without explicit programming for every
circumstance. Machine learning helps a computer to achieve artificial
What is the impact of artificial intelligence (AI) on society?
Click for the answer
Artificial intelligence’s impact on society is widely debated. Many
argue that AI improves the quality of everyday life by doing routine and
even complicated tasks better than humans can, making life simpler,
safer, and more efficient. Others argue that AI poses dangerous privacy
risks, exacerbates racism by standardizing people, and costs workers
their jobs, leading to greater unemployment. For more on the debate over
artificial intelligence, visit ProCon.org
One of the most famous AI platforms is ChatGPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) at Openai.com. The Chat, as you can see is generated in a human-like way that types as it seemingly 'thinks' what to say.
The difference with this though over, say a regular search, is that we can string the chats together to make the chat become like inspiration or the development of an idea due the 'assistant-like' behaviour.
The True Digital Assistant
Below you will see how I made the AI give me a workout regime to take me from 95Kg to 80Kg in around 6 months. Then I asked it for a menu to match. Then I asked for it in a table to print and keep on my phone. And finally, I asked it for a shopping list.
Art creation: MidJourney
There is a Discord Server called MidJourney. This is an extremely popular Text to Art AI generator that takes the 'Frankenstein-like' efforts of artwork and processes that we would generally have seen a few years ago, and use artistic prompts such style, aspect ratio, famous artist's styles (Da Vinci , Renoir, Jan van Eyck etc.), plus poster, vintage, light direction to create the image you would normally search for in pieces, and build in an art package such as Photoshop or Figma.
This is a set of images that I took from the Britanica FAQs on AI above and asked to make a poster based on the text "What is the impact of artificial intelligence (AI) on society". The image on the left is the first option. Then I asked it to recreate the images 2 and 3, clockwise, with an upscale of the 3rd clockwise in the image on the left.
More reading / resources:
GitHub - dair-ai/Prompt-Engineering-Guide: Guides, papers, lecture, and resources for prompt engineering
OpenAI Models Cheat Sheet.pdf (dropbox.com)
Copy of Cool Cat Teacher [Template] AI Investigation - Google Docs
Practical AI Ideas for the Classroom (coolcatteacher.com)
Introduction to Machine Learning | Google Developers
Introduction to Machine Learning Problem Framing | Google Developers
MS Learn Courses on Artificial Intelligence
IB Academic Integrity Policy Guidance on the use of artificial intelligence tools
Directory of Terms:
- The ability of a computer or other machine to perform those activities that are normally thought to require intelligence.
- The branch of computer science concerned with the development of machines having this ability.
- Intelligence exhibited by an artificial (non-natural, man-made) entity.
- The branch of computer science dealing with the reproduction or mimicking of human-level intelligence, self-awareness, knowledge, conscience, thought in computer programs.
- The essential quality of a machine which thinks in a manner similar to or on the same general level as a real human being.
- a computer system or software package which is artificially intelligent
- the branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively